Saturday 31 January 2009

Northwich Flashes

It's odd - I used to dislike the Flashes just on the outskirts of Northwich - I saw them as a flat, featureless expanse of water & manmade pathways - a poor attempt at landscaping over a industrial wasteland. It's now one of my favourite places to walk with Daisy. I don't think it's just the fact that the trees and plants have all had chance to mature and that Daisy makes almost anywhere fun to go. I think my whole outlook and mood has changed since leaving the corporate world and I am able to appreciate much simpler things (sounds a bit sickly and cliche ridden but it's so true). Instead of my head being full of deadlines and endless pages of red emails and constantly having too many plates in the air - or shattered on the floor, my mind is now free to enjoy the scenery and the fresh air, often with the result that I come up with my best ideas to grow my own business, whilst I am out walking.

I could wax lyrical about the diversity of scenery offered by the Flashes and interlinking park- and woodland - I think that's what I love about it so much. On today's short walk, I passed through mature woodland, grasslands alongside the river Weaver and had views across the wetlands and expanses of water. Today was bright and cold, with a thin haze of cloud creating the ideal light for photography, especially given the low angle of the sun at this time of year. No harsh shadows and the possibility to shoot backlit subjects. The teasels against the backdrop of tall, pale and straw coloured grasses were a great example of this. The single dead leaf, curled in on itself as if in a bid to protect itself and resist the pull of the wind, in contrast to the vibrant colours of the new wood and buds marking the start of a new year's growth.

I couldn't end this entry without including a shot of Daisy looking thoroughly miserable, partly from suffering the head collar which limits her ability to pull my arm out of its socket, and also down to putting up with the constant interruptions to her walk, when I tether her to a post and get the camera out. I am sure she wishes I would take up another interest - much like the kids do too!

By Jane Burkinshaw. Share this post by clicking on one of the Share buttons on the right hand side. I'd love to hear your comments too!

No comments:

Post a Comment